Saturday, May 16, 2020

Rukawat Ke Liye Khed Hai

Inconvenience Regretted. My sincere apologies.

I left my carcass on your railway tracks on my way home.

This may be hard for you to see. Trapped as you are in your own home. With nowhere else to be.

My life was the shanty outside your window. An eyesore. Why should my death be any more?

However, I’m sorry for the gore.

But don’t worry. Soon there will be another like me, wiping off the last fragments of my bone.

I was infected with nothing but poor choices of my own. Could’ve died comfortably hungry in the city. Why walk a thousand miles home?

Murdered by the State? No way. There’s no debate. I’m dispensable. Mark me a number under ‘collateral damage’.

There, there. Please don’t shed a tear.

I was only the invisible hand of the market, that built your home and cleaned your street. You know, the things that used to manifest magically on their own. Please, pay no heed.

Hard times, I know. But this too shall pass. And then, there will be no pressure of propriety.

My absence won't be felt. No questions raised over your piety.

You’re absolved of my responsibility. That life will move on is a guarantee.

And all the things that manifested magically shall manifest once again reliably.

Because there will be another just like me.

Inconvenience regretted. But, don’t worry.

Your dead migrant worker will be replaced under warranty.

No comments:

Post a Comment